This document sets out the policy of AirXpanders, Inc. (AirXpanders) in relation to diversity. AirXpanders’ vision for diversity incorporates a number of different factors, including gender, ethnicity, disability, age, marital or family status, religious or cultural background and sexual orientation.
This policy applies to all AirXpanders group employees, including contractors and consultants, and includes the recruitment and selection process, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, work assignment, training and any other aspect of employment.
The key objectives of this policy are for the AirXpanders group to achieve:
- a diverse and skilled workforce, leading to continuous improvement in service delivery and the achievement of corporate goals;
- a workplace culture characterised by inclusive practices and behaviours for the benefit of all staff;
- improved employment and career development opportunities for women including participation in senior management and at Board level; and
- awareness in all staff of their rights and responsibilities in relation to fairness, equity and respect for all aspects of diversity.
Diversity contributes to the achievement of corporate objectives. The AirXpanders group recognises the benefits arising from diversity at all levels of its business, which include:
- being able to attract people with the best skills and attributes;
- more lateral problem solving ability and greater opportunities for innovation;
- improving employee retention rates; and
- accessing different perspectives and ideas.
The increased focus on diversity at all levels of the business will reinforce the importance of equality in the workplace, ensuring all employees are treated with fairness and respect, and have equal access to opportunities available at work without being subjected to conscious or unconscious biases.
To this end, discrimination, harassment, vilification and victimisation cannot and will not be tolerated by the AirXpanders group.
5 Employment considerations
The AirXpanders group has programs, practices and policies covering, but not limited to, recruitment and promotion, career development and performance, talent and succession management, flexible work practices including parental leave and employee consultation. In all employment situations, merit will be the determining factor. Employees and applicants for employment will be assessed on their merits, without regard to race, age, sex, marital status or any other factor not applicable to the position. Employees are evaluated for
employment and advancement opportunities based on achievement, experience and the ultimate value they could bring to a role.
Recruiting for all staff positions, including senior management, will be from a diverse pool of candidates in accordance with the guidelines of this policy. AirXpanders’ recruitment process will be focused on criteria designed to ensure that the best people are chosen for the available positions recognising the benefits that diverse experience, perspectives and approaches can bring. External consultants should be used where appropriate to ensure the broadest possible search for candidates with the best skills and experience has been performed.
Succession plans are to be reviewed regularly to ensure an appropriate focus on diversity in accordance with this Policy.
6 Measurable Objectives
As a relatively small company (amongst those listed on the ASX), AirXpanders may face particular issues in ensuring that all of the ASX Corporate Governance Council’s recommendations and guidance in its Corporate Governance Principles and Practice
publication are satisfied. AirXpanders’ operations are currently at the development and initial commercialisation stage and it has only a small number of employees. As AirXpanders moves closer to achieving its commercialisation goals and increases its number of employees, it will:
- establish appropriate and measurable objectives for achieving gender diversity; and
- annually review and assess both the measurable objectives for achieving gender diversity and the AirXpanders group’s progress in achieving them.
7 Further information
Any person who has questions about this policy or who requires further information should contact the Chief Executive Officer or the Australian Company Secretary.
8 Review of this policy
This policy may be amended by the Board of Directors. Approved by the Board of Directors of AirXpanders, Inc.