At AirXpanders, we believe a woman deserves a comfortable road to recovery and the highest quality of life following a mastectomy.
Currently, women who elect for breast cancer reconstructive surgery can face a lengthy and painful process with today’s conventional, needle-based, saline-injected tissue expanders.
AirXpanders has developed the AeroForm tissue expander, a patient controlled breast tissue expander that could change the field of reconstructive surgery.
The AeroForm patient controlled tissue expander includes a small handheld wireless controller that administers small amounts of CO2 into the device to stretch the skin to accommodate a permanent breast implant.
AeroFormTM is a patient controlled tissue expander that is designed to:
- Eliminate the need for percutaneous saline injections
- Release a precise amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) for gradual expansion
- Allow patient to fully regulate expansion according to physician protocol
- Shorten tissue expansion time from months to weeks
- Significantly reduce pain and discomfort
- Improve cosmetic outcomes for a natural form and shape
- Reduce overall time and costs for the physicians office
Breast Cancer Statistics
(provided by www.breastcancer.org, ASPS.org, ACS.org)
- Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among U.S. women
next to skin cancer.
- 25% of cancers in women are breast cancer
- 12% of women will develop invasive breast cancer
- 250,000 women will be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer this year
- 40,610 cases result in death
– Over 90,000 reconstructions take place in the U.S. each year
Why women don’t choose breast reconstruction
Following a mastectomy, the decision to pursue breast reconstruction surgery is a very personal choice, with about 33% of women choosing to do so. This low adoption rate may come as a surprise to some, but when considering today’s long process of expanding the breast tissue to create a pocket for the permanent breast implant, one can begin to see why so many women choose to forego this process.
The aim of the AeroForm tissue expander is to offer a needle free, patient controlled solution for those debating their breast reconstruction options following a mastectomy.
Benefits of Tissue Expansion with AeroFormTM
– No needles required for expansion
– No needle based infection risk
– No inadvertent expander punctures
– No office based prep time
– Natural appearance
– Pre-determined anatomical shape
– Lower pole emphasis
– Light weight at volume
– Patient controlled via hand held remote
– Delivers doses in 10cc increments
– Allows for three (3) doses per day
– Audible and visual dose confirmations
– In-home vs. in-office expansion